Wednesday 29 November 2017

Only if I could run as fast & could drink as much Dr.Pepper as Forrest...

“My momma always said, ‘Life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get.’” explains Forrest (the ever so talented Tom Hanks), in the film Forrest Gump, to a random woman on a bus bench as he begins his life story. You know I had to write a blog about this movie, of course I did, because it is about life… to the extreme… maybe, but nonetheless every aspect of growing up and growing old. The upbringing, the loving, the family, the falling, the hurting, the truth and the deaths, all so real and so emotional to watch (I cry every time). We live a life full of possible adventures, its wether we take the opportunity to live it or sit in the shadows determines who we are. 
For the longest time I watched this film and just observed it as a rom-com between Forrest and Jenny. As I grew up and saw the desire of life, I now watch it with a sense of  passion. A man with a slow mind but a big heart lives life through; college, football, the army, running across the country, opening a shrimp boat, and marrying the women he has loved since he was a little one with braces on his legs. He is (pardon my teen slang) #GOALS. You know what made him a role model? Something so simple yet a lot of us don't do… the ability to not stop and think, but take action. As we grow up we tend to over think situations which causes us to not take as many risks in our lives, we “play it safe” because of all the “wrong” that we conjure in our heads of things that COULD happen. I agree, we have more to lose when we grow older, but we also have more opportunities to explore, to invent, to see. Did Forrest hesitate to do any thing in the movie, or did he just go and do it? He then had a life that would be memorable to many viewers for years to come. Though fictional it reached many peoples hearts, I know it hit mine in many ways.
I’m not saying after watching a movie my life changed, but because my life is changing I start seeing things differently. After college I fell into a family business, though I loved the business and the people I worked with, it wasn't something exciting or made me feel alive in a way. So I did something that scared me, a career change. Though when you're in your 20’s everyone always says that you're young enough and you have so much time to figure out what you want… we never think that way though, we just know we want to get our life started. Therefore a career change in my mid twenties is scary, and I love it! I am learning so much in my course, the thought of starting a new career that allows me to travel and spend more time with loved ones is surreal, and the best part... I did not hesitate or think I just… did! I am now in the happiest state of my life I have been in for a very long time, though a minimal change of action, it is a start.
I challenge everyone to start doing stuff that scares them, stuff that takes no thought but just action. Not something everyday, but every once in awhile so you can start living your life like Forrest. Little by little, chocolate by chocolate, you'll start seeing things in a brighter light about this world. It’s like Gump said, “I don't know if Momma was right or if, if it's Lieutenant Dan. I don't know if we each have a destiny, or if we're all just floating around accidental-like on a breeze, but I, I think maybe it's both. Maybe both is happening at the same time.”. We may have an ending spot in our own destiny but we can make the path to that point. Floating in the breeze, randomly landing places, beautiful places, until we land where we need to be. 
Love;

Rachel


Want more slap you in the face real talk? Follow my Instagram page true20something or search the hashtag #true20something. MUAH

No comments:

Post a Comment